Strawbale house

This is the log of my experience building my straw bale home. I am told the pictures do not do the actual finished product justice, however, I am pleased to share it with all who are interested on this site. The trials and tribulations in getting the permit could have brought the project to an abrupt halt, but I knew in my heart that this was something I was meant to do and giving in or quiting was never an option. Enjoy........ and feel free to share with your friends!

Friday, December 15, 2006

Bale work almost complete..... more pictures

Living room and office windows ready for plaster.

How are the bales used in construction?
Depending on the site and design considerations, there are two main types of construction with bales: structural, or load-bearing, and a framed structure using the bales as infill.
My project used modified post and beam, which meant we erected the structure first, with the roof put on ahead of time, and then the bales are put into place as infill.
As my build was postponed until the fall (which happens more often than you'd think!), it was a good job I had gone with modified post and beam, as opposed to load bearing, as the roof was already on and gave the bales the protection they needed in a very wet fall.
Another wall ready for plaster.
Whole house is now tarped and will stay that way until at least mid January so that the plaster process is protected from the elements.
It is December 15th, and the snow we had last week has all melted - current temp today was 7 degrees C!!

May the weather God stay on our side for another week or two! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home