Strawbale house

This is the log of my experience building my straw bale home. I am told the pictures do not do the actual finished product justice, however, I am pleased to share it with all who are interested on this site. The trials and tribulations in getting the permit could have brought the project to an abrupt halt, but I knew in my heart that this was something I was meant to do and giving in or quiting was never an option. Enjoy........ and feel free to share with your friends!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hallway

The finished product!
The barrel vaulted ceiling was constructed using a combination of wood slats, newspaper and diamond lathe. Then, plaster was applied by hand, giving it a comparable 'rough' look to that of the exterior walls.

Posts are poplar, taken from the property last year (see the September archive).

The varied wood doors can just be seen on the left. Purchased from a Canadian supplier, they are a mixture of various woods: cherry, walnut, oak, maple and pine.

Floors are acid stained, using Kemiko product, applied directly to the concrete. The lovely 'mottled' effect is quite spectacular. The floor was coated twice with the stain and then sealed. Very low maintenance - I have found the best way to wash it is with water and vinegar!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home