Strawbale house

This is the log of my experience building my straw bale home. I am told the pictures do not do the actual finished product justice, however, I am pleased to share it with all who are interested on this site. The trials and tribulations in getting the permit could have brought the project to an abrupt halt, but I knew in my heart that this was something I was meant to do and giving in or quiting was never an option. Enjoy........ and feel free to share with your friends!

Thursday, December 21, 2006

.... and so... to plaster!

Plaster started today. Here we see the first coat, which is applies very roughly.
The plaster is a mixture of lime, cement and sand. The method of application is quite ingenious, invented by the crew of Camels Back. As you will see with the extensive pictures, it is quite a process. Very labour intensive and tiring and they are only able to stop for one break, at lunch, as all the equipment has to be cleaned immediately, so that it does not begin to dry and cake all the equipment.
Close up of the first coat.
Tina, the plaster Queen!
The whold crew worked tirelessly , thru the Christmas Holidays. The whole process took one week, inside and out.
Base coat applied to bales. This will be followed by a second, smooth coat. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home